So, what is an Israeli A1 visa? And How do I apply?

An A1 visa is a temporary residence visa a person can apply for under the Right of Return.

If you are eligible under the Right of Return to make Aliyah but have not decided to become an Israeli citizen, you have the option of receiving an A1 Temporary Residence Visa for up to 5 years. During this time, you may live in Israel and consider your interests in making Aliyah and becoming an Israeli citizen.
After 5 years, you can choose to become an Israeli citizen or apply for an A/5 Temporary residence visa.

Who can apply:

You must be eligible for Aliyah (Immigration to Israel) under the Right of Return.

Refer to our blog post about

What do I need:

  1. Your foreign passport must be valid for at least 6 months.
  2. Photocopies of all your foreign passport pages.
  3. 3 identical, current, color passport photos, taken on a plain, light background, sized 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm.
  4. Proof of eligibility for Right of Return
  5. A letter of explanation.

What is considered proof of eligibility for Right of Return:

  1. Examples of proof of eligibility for Right of Return:
  2. An original birth certificate.
  3. Confirmation from a Jewish community.
  4. Other documents establishing your Judaism.
  5. All documents must be originals translated by a notary to Hebrew (if the certificate is in Arabic or English, you do not need to have it translated).
  6. All documents and certificates must be officially authenticated:
    1. If the certificate was issued by a government body or other official body in countries that are members of The Hague convention, it must have an apostille stamp.
    2. Contact your nearest Israeli in the country where the certificate was issued for instructions for certificates without an apostille stamp.

Services fee:

The ministry of interior will charge NIS 170.

You can pay with your credit card at the authority office or someone else’s credit card if they are with you in person.

How to apply:

Print and complete the visa application form and submit it in person, together with the required documents, to your local Population and Immigration Authority office.


Click here to read more about passport renewal: